Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Cold Weather Hydration

Booth blog photo.jpg

Read on the Web...Cold Weather Hydration, good article, great advice.
Story by
Rachel Booth,From: http://www.nola.com/running/index.ssf/2013/01/running_with_rachel_cold_weath.html

As we all know hydration, or sometimes the lack thereof, is an important factor when running and exercising in the hot weather of Louisiana. We understand the heat and humidity can take a toll on our body if we aren’t diligent about staying on top of hydration. But have you ever thought of hydration to be as important in cold weather?
Well, hydration is just as crucial in cooler temperatures as it is in warmer temperatures, but it's often forgotten when you'd rather reach for coffee and lattes instead of water.

 Local runner Rachel Booth says the risk of dehydration is just as high in cold weather as in warm weather, so it's important to drink water and take precautions all the time.  
In the winter months people often think, “Since it’s cold out, I’m not sweating as much." Well, you are right on one thing – it is cold – but you still sweat. The difference is the sweat isn’t dripping off you like it would in late July.
During the cooler months, cold air, wind chill, and shivering can all contribute to dehydration. So if you maintain your normal exercise regimen through the cooler temperatures while considering the dehydration risk factors, then decide you don’t need to drink as many fluids, you are setting yourself up for disaster. Your body still needs water to maintain normal functions, so just as you would on hot summer days, carry on with your fluid intake to avoid the effects of dehydration.
A couple of signs that you should consider drinking more water are if you aren’t going to the bathroom for several hours at a time, or your urine is very yellow. I'll never forget a text my mother-in-law sent me one day when she was visiting and helping with my children. It said: “Your 3-year-old daughter just told me she had to drink more water because her pee was too yellow.” Apparently, my mother-in-law asked where she learned that and my daughter replied, “Mommy told me.” I guess all this time my daughter was listening.
With that being said, I need to practice what I preach because I know I am very guilty of not drinking as much water in the winter. I am quickly reminded of that fact as soon as I start my run and my right-side side stitch appears. I immediately begin to scold myself as I am running along looking for the next water fountain.
To avoid this situation, I am working on taking my father-in-law’s method of remembering to drink water for the day. In the morning he puts out at least six bottles of water on the counter. He says that by the end of the day he needs to drink them all or he hasn’t met his mark. While those bottles of water should increase with greater exercise, if we all adopt a method such as this, we can remind ourselves to keep drinking our water and stay on top of the hydration game.
While you are more likely to lose water from your body in the warm months, you can be even more susceptible to become dehydrated in the cooler months, so don’t forget that keeping hydrated year-round is essential. Your running and exercise performance depends on it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Simple, Critical and Guaranteed. 
Gulpwater® Hydrate, Educate, Donate.


 

Hydration Education Foundation is organized as a 501(c) 3 nonprofit tax-exempt organization to help prevent childhood obesity, diabetes, dehydration and dental disease by replacing drinking fructose and sugar drinks with gulping clean water. We are an IRS approved Public Charity. Please consider making a tax-deductible contribution to support us helping kids.

To visit  Gulpwater® online: www.hydrationeducation.org
To contribute - please go to: www.hydrationeducation.org/donate.html 
To see our Gulpwater®twitter - please tweet to:  @Gulpwater 
To email Gulpwater®: gulpwater@aol.com
 http://justcoz.org/Gulpwater and donate a tweet today.